Monday, November 10, 2008

My Daily Carriage


Since most of the artwork I have been producing lately has been that of studies or transitional steps towards finished products, I thought I would exhibit a small portion of my daily life by way of my main source of transportation through 'ol Frisco, the MUNI. The MUNI consists of electrically driven trains that go above and below ground as well as electric and hybrid buses. Electricity above ground is provided via cables that are strewn above the street, of which the trains an buses are hooked to. The particular bus I take (to the studio) on an almost daily basis is the 30 Stockton, which runs from downtown, through Chinatown, to my exit at on the other side of town, North Beach (assuming I am in one piece upon arrival) and beyond. Indeed, the 30 Stockton is a small, yet hearty dose of Chinese reality, as one gets a more in-depth look at other cultures when one is pressed unwillingy too close to someone else as the bus bobs an weaves through town, with the occasional "brake-slam" to make the experience all the more special. I have yet to learn any bits of the language, but I my ability to sense contempt from others gets heightened on the rare times I am forced to yell at elderly folks attempting to board a bus that has absolutely no room whatsoever, and will not move until they get f*ck out of the doorway, or the spaced out kids on their way school in the morning who crowd around both exits (with more than enough goddamn space towards the back) and refuse to move so I can exit the bus, forcing me to mutter explicatives as I ram my way through like its the last few seconds of the Super Bowl...

Anyway, I have included a few pictures from this morning, which was sadly (for the purposes of this post) pretty tame. Keep in mind, these views are of the front half of the bus, as I usually bulldoze my way to the rear exit and hold firm. Also, I was unable to get good shots of the various crowds in Chinatown waiting to board the bus that would rival a Led Zeppelin Reunion show.







2 comments:

wc said...

the only time it got really crowded while i was there is the day we went to the golden gate bridge. we changed buses a few times, drove through town making stops, and waiting with large groups. i must say san fran's transit system sure is impressive. even though i drove blacksburg transit, i was a little jealous.

BullBunky said...

Oh my goodness. The ole 30 Stockton is the ultimate test of patience. My fav part...watching everyone board with those pink plastic bags. They must ship those by the ship-load right from China.